Police Federation of Australia Launches National Awareness Campaign on Police Officer Mental Wellbeing
In 2017, the Police Federation of Australia secured a $1 million-dollar grant from the Proceeds of Crime Account (POCA) (Section 298) to fund a National Awareness Campaign on Police Officer Mental Wellbeing.
Two key elements of the campaign were a song, ‘Graduation Day’, by acclaimed Australian recording artist John Schumann and a telemovie ‘Dark Blue’. Graduation Day was released on 8 April 2019 and Dark Blue is set to Premiere on 9 May.
The major thrust of the campaign is to break down the stigma attached to emotional illness and for officers to feel comfortable to say that they are doing it tough. The Police Federation of Australia hopes this campaign will be the beginning of further educational and support activities funded by the Australian federal government.
The broad outcomes of the multifaceted and integrated program are anticipated to include:
Increased awareness of social and emotional well-being/mental health issues
-including, but not limited to, psychological injuries incurred by members;
• An established and accepted connection between social and emotional well-being/mental health issues and personal and professional safety;
• Development and implementation of strategies to help preserve members’ social and emotional well-being/mental health;
• Development of culturally relevant and accessible collateral, materials, avenues and pathways to information and help with regard to social and emotional well-being/mental health;
• Encourage early help seeking; and
• Point to pathways for help.
The song ‘Graduation Day’, was written by John Schumann and recorded with Schumann’s long-time band, the Vagabond Crew, featuring guest vocalist Taasha Coates from The Audreys. The music video can be viewed from the ICPRA homepage and downloaded at the following link https://abcmusic.lnk.to/Graduationday . Further information on the National Awareness Campaign on Police Officer Mental Wellbeing can be viewed at the following link http://pfa.org.au/member-wellbeing/